Sunday, October 7, 2012

Rowing Under Duress

The pit in my stomach was more a medicine ball. I was sweating profusely, my flush not only a color change but apparently a fluid swap. I hoped no one could see my hands shaking, but I guessed that would be like hoping no one notices Mount Rushmore has faces on it.

“We’re here for you” Doctor Schneweiss said in her calmest voice; “Whenever you’re ready.”

“I c-c-can’t” I stammered; “I just can’t. It's stupid! It's humiliating!”

But even while saying that I knew it was inevitable. I had no choice. As the group looked on expressing their hopes and compassion I began…

“Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream…”

I stopped, nearly gagging. The group, on the other hand, was applauding and beckoning me to continue. My eliminating introversion therapy had finally begun in earnest.

1 comment: