Thursday, August 15, 2013

Metaphors are for Sissies



"What does it mean uncle Ron; 'a book holds a house of gold'?"
 

"Well, think of what gold is" I started, not sure where I was going to end up. "The shiniest, prettiest, most sought after mineral on earth. A good idea is like that, a great story with memorable characters and a fascinating plot, or even a collection of scientific concepts that impart the very stuff of life in an understandable form. A book, almost any book is like a house, and each chapter, or each room if you like, can hold a wonderful journey or picture or undeniable golden truth all its own. Understand?"
 

He stared at me a moment, and it was clear that while he shook his head in the affirmative, I'd just blown smoke over his head.
 

"Or" I continued, "It could mean there's a pirate treasure map in some old dusty tome in the city library... a map that shows the location of a city of the most amazing riches ever seen, including the pirate's own house made entirely of gold!!!"
 

John jumped to his feet and clapped. "Yea, yea, that's what I was thinkin it meant! Thanks uncle Ron!" He ran into the kitchen to explain to his mother why they needed to leave immediately for the city library.
 

My sister stepped into the doorway with her hands on her hips and a faux scowl written on her face. "Thanks a lot old man, we'll be off to the library in a moment!"
 

"Just trying to do my part sis" I said nodding graciously. "If you find that treasure map and dig it up before you come home, remember to get me a Mountain Dew if you would. All this good deeding makes a man thirsty."

No comments:

Post a Comment